Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Can You Get Freckles From A Solarium?

An art


The art of losing is not difficult so much

contain the germ of the loss, but loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster of lost
the door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing is not hard.

After losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and the following scale
of your trip. None of this will be a disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look!
disappeared last or next to last of my three loved houses went.
The art of losing is not hard.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And a huge
realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
miss them, but there has been a disaster.

Not even losing you (the loving voice, gesture
I love) I can fool me.
is clear that the art of losing is not very difficult, although
may look like (Write it!) a disaster.


Elizabeth Bishop

0 comments:

Post a Comment